Monday, September 14, 2015

Sister Lauren Boring is weeks away from completing a successful mission in the California Ventura Mission



My youngest child and daughter, Lauren, is about three weeks away from completing a successful mission in the California Ventura Mission.  Shortly after President Thomas S. Monson made his historic announcement reducing the missionary ages from 19 to 18 for elders and 21 to 19 for the sisters, I asked her what she thought and she said, "No, I prayed about it and the Lord said I am on track doing what I am doing now."  I hate to admit this, but I was relieved.  My son, Wade, had just returned from the Brazil Campinas Mission and I had wanted him to go, of course, but I never really expected (and truth be told, wanted) my daughters to go.  If they wanted to go, I would support them, but I was much more comfortable if they stayed home and got their educations.

A few weeks after our initial conversation, Lauren entered into the living room and announced in a loud voice, "I have an announcement!"  My first and immediate thought was she was getting married which really concerned me because I hadn't heard she was dating anyone.  Then she said, "I am going on a mission!"  Talk about mixed emotions.  Half of me was saying, "Yay!"  the other half of me was sobbing, "No!"  I asked her what happened to the answer to her prayer?  She said she was sitting in church and got this overpowering feeling she should go on a mission, so she prayed again, only this time the answer was yes, she should go.

I was concerned, all right, I was scared.  I could only imagine where the Lord would send her.  She was willing to go anywhere.  Then that fateful day came when the large white envelope from Salt Lake City arrived in the mail.  She opened it and began reading.  My heart was pounding in anticipation.  Then she read the words "California Ventura Mission."  I grew up in Southern California, and while it has its rough spots, generally she was going to a pretty nice part of California.

As Sister Boring wraps up her mission, I can't express enough how proud I am of her for her willingness to forget about herself and serve others for 18 months.  She has indicated in her letters how much she loves her mission, but she is ready and excited to see and be with her family, again.  She has had many amazing, spiritual experiences, experiences that will remain with her throughout her life.  She is not the same person she was when she left.  She has grown spiritually, mentally and emotionally.  She left home a 20 year old girl, but is returning home a strong, mature and independent 21 year old woman.

In a day and age when selfishness seems to run rampant, I am thankful for the young men and women of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints who literally put their lives on hold for 18 months to 2 years to serve God and their fellow human beings.  It is really an amazing feat when you think about it.  We have some pretty special young adults in our Church, and I thank God for them and pray for them each and every day.

Let me close with a quote from one of Sister Boring's recent letters:  "I love the Lord. . . .  I'm still focused, I'm excited to be home, but I desire to give my all and do my best.  That's what I will continue to do."

- Brother Michael Boring, Stake High Councilor

No comments:

Post a Comment