Monday, October 5, 2015

A Message from Conference and the Mission Field


In years past I have usually listened to the Saturday morning and afternoon sessions of General Conference while I worked on some project in or around my home.  This year I decided I was going watch,  and  pay full attention to, all of the sessions. I was blessed for doing so.  One of the blessings that I received was the opportunity to sustain the First Presidency, the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles, and the other General Authorities.  As everyone knows, three new members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles were called and then sustained Saturday afternoon. I don't personally know all of the three men called, but I do know that they are faithful, worthy men of God. I also know that they were called by the Lord through a Prophet, Seer, and Revelator, President Thomas S. Monson.

In the Sunday morning session Elder Renlund touched my heart and helped me to feel the Spirit very, very strongly when he talked about how we can truly magnify our service to the Lord only when we forget ourselves and focus on what the Lord wants us to do.    Elder Renlund states: "To effectively serve others, we must see them through a parent’s eyes, through Heavenly Father’s eyes. Only then can we comprehend the true worth of a soul. Only then can we sense the love that Heavenly Father has for all of His children. Only then can we sense the Savior’s caring concern for them".

Our missionaries work hard to see people through God's eyes and know of our Heavenly Father's love for each of them.  My son, Elder Archibald is serving in a small town in Mexico.  He relates this example of the blessings that come when you forget yourself and try to see people through our Heavenly Father's eyes.  He says: "We continue to work hard here with little result.  We work hard because I know that there is someone here who needs God.  I have never worked so hard, or thought of so many ways to help people, and every time have everything thrown back in my face.  If I look at my situation, in reality, my life here should be horrible, but somehow I am always super happy.  I know that I am happy because I truly live the gospel of Jesus Christ.  We really have nothing else".


I have a testimony that The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is led by our Savior through inspired men and women who love each of us and love God. I also know that God loves all of us more than we can ever imagine.  In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

-Brother Andy Archibald, Smithfield Utah South Stake High Councilor

No comments:

Post a Comment